Lacrosse is an Indigenous sport and one of the fastest growing sports in North America. It was in the 2022 Canada Summer Games, it is anticipated to be in the upcoming 2028 Summer Olympics and it is planned to be a new sport at local Community Centres.
Gryphons Lacrosse is offering a fully sponsored Discover Lacrosse program for elementary and middle schools. The program is put on by Gryphons Lacrosse and is sponsored in part by the Manitoba Lacrosse Association. The intent of the program is to learn and develop new skills while at the same time introduce students to Canada’s National Summer Sport.
The programming is offered free of charge to the schools provided that the school runs the program for one complete school day cycle and reports on total classes held along with approximate student numbers.
The program is offered throughout January, February and early March and is designed to run over a period of one week (i.e. one full school day cycle). The program includes the following:
- two days of onsite lacrosse skills training for the students and educational instructors by a nationally certified lacrosse coach;
- a copy of a lacrosse skills and drills program guide; and
- one week access to a Lacrosse Discover kit, including regulation lacrosse sticks, gym safe soft practice lacrosse balls, lacrosse nets, and shot blockers.
Gryphons Lacrosse will schedule nationally certified coaches for the first two days. The first day Gryphons Lacrosse will do most of the instruction, while by the second day, the Physical Education Instructor will take the lead with Gryphons Lacrosse there to support. It is envisioned that by the third through six day, the school will be fully independent.
The programming is based on six school days with the assumption that each student receives three classes (A, B and C). The classes cover the lessons outlined below:
- Lesson #1: Scooping
- Lesson #2: Cradling
- Lesson #4: Passing/Catching
- Lesson #5: Shooting
- Lesson #6: Putting it all together